Legalease Home page
Regulated businesses

Camping sites (England and Wales)

A camp site operator requires a licence from the local authority (Public Health Act 1936).The legislation applies to tents and other “moveable dwellings”, but not mobile homes or caravans.

Prior planning permission is required. The local authority may attach conditions to the licence.

Tacit consent: tacit consent applies: an application for a licence to a local authority is deemed to have been granted unconditionally unless within four weeks from its receipt the authority gives notice to the applicant stating that his application is refused, or stating the conditions subject to which the licence is granted.

For further information, see the Business Link site and search your local authority’s site.

Back to Regulated businesses list>